You just read one of the shortest verses in the Bible. Congratulations! But please don’t pass over it too quickly. Like road signs we routinely ignore on the way to work, we can.
I believe there’s a lot stuffed into these two words. Let’s take a prayerful moment and unpack these two words by asking two questions.
1. What does continual prayer look like?
- It starts with a MOLDABLE ME. It means shutting up a little more, shutting down, lifting up, allowing my Lord to shape my prayer life.
- Lest I forget, prayer is not just talking to God. Let Him direct the dialogue too. When God brings the talking points, the conversation takes a beautiful course of its own, like a wild, wandering river.
- It means pray like I BREATHE. Let prayer become like an unsummoned breath or involuntary heartbeat, simply responding to every moment of life. Let a quiet, undetected-by-others conversation always go on with God.
- It means praying BEYOND the USUAL. Moldable prayers are creative prayers. Prayers should not be restricted to “our Father” rote incantations before games, bedtime, mealtime routines and benedictions. It means I open my prayer throttle and push the limits some more.
- Keep all subjects open for discussion … burdens, fears, failures, frustrations, joys, successes, dreams, longings, self, others, health, understanding … all’s in play, nothing is out of bounds.
- It means FIND OTHERS. Join in. When two or three huddle together in prayer, God joyously joins. Movements build when people meet like this. Be moldable enough to relax your personal schedule to huddle with others and pray.
- It means NO DELAY. Never delay a prayer prompting. Never defer. Just do it. Don’t wait. God gives us a 24/7/365 green light for prayer. Green means go!
2. Why pray like this?
- I’m commanded to … and all His commands are good.
- Continual prayer undergirds and supports everything else I do by faith.
- Continual connection with God leaves less and less room for unhealthy fears to be introduced and entertained.
- It connects dots. It creates bigger, healthy corporate prayer highways with others. My moldability allows me to form sweet prayer communities. #BetterTogether
- Spiritual “brown-outs” won’t occur because prayer power is always flowing. That switch never turns off.
- It buffs me. Since prayer is a spiritual/faith exercise, getting continual reps builds my faith muscle. Such workouts please God (Hebrews 11:6).
- It allows ample opportunity for me to fully express my cares, and it stretches me to intercede for others like Jesus does (Hebrews 7:25).
- It brings worship to the front of the line. What I am ultimately made for surfaces in prayer; that’s worship!
- Because prayer changes things!
‘Nuf said. Let’s pray continually.
– Coach Mo